Noxious Problems in Millcreek!

Okay don't panic, but word on the street is that Millcreek Ravine is infested with garlic mustard - and we're not talking about something delicious for a hotdog. Below is a message from the City of Edmonton about this pesky species.
Be aware of noxious and prohibited noxious weeds.

Not all flowers are friendly!

Noxious and prohibited noxious weeds grow and spread quickly. They invade entire ecosystems; push out native plants; infest streams, riverbanks and waterways; and impact natural animal habitats and biodiversity. These plants compete with native species, making properties look unsightly and causing significant damage to parks and green space in the city.

Noxious weeds must be “controlled”, which means to remove the risk of spreading. The easiest way to do this is by mowing the weeds.

Here are the top 5 noxious weeds to watch for this year!

  • Canada Thistle
  • Perennial Sow Thistle
  • Oxeye Daisy
  • Creeping Bellflower
  • Scentless Chamomile

Prohibited noxious weeds must be “destroyed”, meaning all growing parts of the plant must be killed. To do this, remove and dispose of the weed according to the plant-specific instructions at

Here are the top 5 prohibited noxious weeds to watch for this year!

  • Purple Loosestrife
  • Tamarisk Species
  • Japanese Knotweed
  • Himalayan Balsam
  • Garlic Mustard

Control invasive weeds

Landowners are required to control noxious weeds and destroy prohibited noxious weeds on their property under the Alberta Weed Control Act. Download the Alberta Weed Spotter App to see if you have noxious and/or prohibited noxious weeds in your yard.

Property owners who do not control or destroy invasive weeds may be issued a local authority’s notice to control or remove the weed. The City has the authority under the Act to enter onto private property to start weed control measures. Cost for this varies on the amount of infestation and area to be cleared and gets added to the landowner’s property tax bill.

For information on weed identification, visit

For information on the related legislation, visit